"Michael's depth of experience and success in even highly competitive fields makes him a terrific choice as a consultant or partner. There is perhaps, no greater praise I can offer than this: I've tried to hire Michael personally at SEOmoz. He's that good."
- Rand Fishkin, founder of Moz, founder of Sparktoro
"I've known and worked with Michael Cottam for years. He attacks problems with an intense focus and will not rest until he's cracked them. Michael focus on continuous improvement, both personally and professionally, speak to the well-rounded technologist he is. I'd work with Michael again in a heartbeat; I'd definitely want Michael on my team."
- Scott Hanselman, Partner Program Manager, Microsoft
"I am so grateful to be able to benefit from Michael Cottam's SEO expertise. We're a growing content business in the aging care industry and with his help, have doubled our organic search traffic over 18 months - and continue to see steady improvement. I learn so much and get so many actionable ideas for improvement in every conversation. His strategies and tactics are far more effective than the vast majority of SEO consultants. Given the impressive results, he's more than worth his fee! I also appreciate that he doesn't require a monthly retainer like so many others, especially those who spend most of their billable hours on useless metrics reports and keyword monitoring. On a personal level, he's a kind and interesting person that I always enjoy speaking with. And, he shared (pro bono!) his personal experience and clever solution in an article on our site that has helped countless families stay connected with their loved ones living in nursing homes during the coronavirus pandemic, bringing much needed comfort to a vulnerable population."
- Connie Chow, Founder at DailyCaring.com
- site architecture
- internal linking strategy
- keyword research and competitive analysis
- topical analysis
- SEO best practices & site audits
- on-page tuning for maximum benefits from Panda
- Google penalty recovery, including backlink analysis for both algorithmic and manual penalties
- local search optimization
- white-hat link-building strategies
- optimization of your social media strategy and processes for SEO
- pagination and duplicate content issues
- rel=canonical configuration
- rich content strategies, including search-optimized photo galleries, Google Maps API, embedded video, etc.
- XML sitemaps
- page speed analysis and recommendations
- Yoast WordPress SEO plugin configuration
- semantic markup via schema.org
You should not come to Michael for fashion advice. He likes Hawaiian shirts way too much. You’ll find me on the Moz list of recommended companies, authoring a number of articles on SEO at AboutUs.org, and at many other websites in this industry. Michael is an Associate at Moz, occasionally writing articles for their main blog (including a Whiteboard Friday session) and answering questions from the Moz members in their Q&A section. He’s a past board member of SEMpdx, Portland’s search marketing organization, which puts on monthly search marketing educational events as well as the annual Engage conference (aka SearchFest). Michael currently lives in Bend, in beautiful Central Oregon, with my fianceé and our three children. You can find Michael on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Tumblr, and SlideShare.